Drive-Away DetailsHere are the down-to-earth details of Drive-Away
- Horizon Transport’s independent contractor drivers must be at least 23 years of age.
- Driving experience: No commercial driving experience is required to become a driveaway driver. We do, however, require you to list at least 20,000 miles with a larger vehicle such as a Motorhome, U Haul Truck, Ect., Please list all of your personal and or professional driving experience on your application. Picture of the larger vehicle you drove may be required for review.
- License requirement: A minimum of a CDL B (with airbrakes) or 50,000 verifiable safety miles from a “like carrier” is required for our Driveaway Division.
- Acceptable PSP: (Only CDL drivers need a PSP) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s pre-employment screening progrm (PSP): Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s pre-employment screening program (PSP) is a program that helps motor carriers make more informed hiring decisions by providing electronic access to a driver’s crash and inspection history from the MCSA Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS). PSP records are now available for motor carriers and commercial drivers. You may obtain a PSP by clicking this link: http://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/pages/default.aspx
- Acceptable MVR- Reports will be checked for the previous 3 years. It cannot contain more than 1 moving violation or a total of 4 points. There must be no moving violation suspensions. A history of Drug-related convictions, DUI, DWI, OWI, careless driving, reckless driving or habitual offender convictions will disqualify an applicant from further consideration.
- Full 10 year work history – You must document a full 10 year work history on your application.
- Pass a background check
- Pass a company road test
- Pass a DOT Drug test – Pre lease drug testing must be done in Wakarusa on day 1 of orientation. The cost of the drug test is included in the $195 orientation fee.
- Pass a DOT physical – May use existing physical if it has been administered within the previous 6 months of your application date. Physical testing can be done locally for $85
- Must have a home number, which can be the same as the cell number.
Must have a cell number
(We ask that you come to orientation with an active cell phone and voice mail established.)
- $50 Annual Plate Fee – Each contractor will be assigned a transporter plate at orientation. You will be required to submit a $50 Annual Plate Fee.
- $1500 Damage Deposit – Each qualified contractor is responsible to pay a damage deposit during the orientation period.
Methods of payment.
- Personal check, money order or cash.
- You may have 10% of each trip deducted until you attain the $1500 level.
Note: In the event that a contractor de-leases, prior to completing 25 loads, a $250 administrative fee will be charged against the deposit.
- If you have a tow-car, it should be equipped with a tow-bar as tow dollies will not be accepted.
Horizon Transport has a strong commitment to contractor safety and the safety of the general public. Our first priority must always be safety. As drivers, staff and management, the continued emphasis on safe operations is paramount. There will be zero tolerance for unsafe practices. There will be zero tolerance for unsafe practices.
From the moment a contractor enters service for Horizon they are taught proper DOT logging requirements and those standards are rigidly audited to ensure contractor compliance. As of January 1st 2011 we will require each applicant to provide their Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s pre-employment screening program (PSP) report. To learn more about this program visit http://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/Pages/default.aspx. We randomly drug test our fleet on a consistent basis. Horizon contractors are held to a very high standard. Only the best qualify as contractors to service Horizon Transport, Inc.
Horizon employs a very experienced staff of safety professionals whose job is to teach and discipline safety principals each day, to the contractor base.
The Horizon Safety School
Each new contractor is required to attend a Horizon Transport Safety School. The safety school is a 4-hour safety training course for professional drivers. Horizon employs an expert staff of safety professionals who are responsible for teaching this class to our contractors. All contractors are required to attend this class once per year as a refresher to learn new defensive driving techniques.
National Safety Council website www.nsc.org
Safety Bonus Program
Horizon understands that safe driving is a chosen behavior. Contractors have the opportunity to attain additional compensation by driving consecutive safe miles. Our safety bonus program is designed to reward safe contractors.
Still have questions? Browse our FAQs >