A commercial driver’s license, or CDL, is often thought of as a standard in the transportation industry. Most drivers are required to have them; however, when it comes to transporting RVs, the license requirement can really depend on the employer. Should you look into getting a CDL if you want to drive for Horizon Transport?

What is a CDL?

A CDL is a type of driver’s license for those operating large vehicles, such as semi-trucks, buses, and livestock vehicles. However, there isn’t just one type of CDL; there are three different classes with individual qualifications:

1. Class A

A Class A commercial license allows drivers to operate a combination of vehicles with a total weight over 26,001 pounds. For Class A, the towed vehicle must be at least 10,000 pounds on its own. With this license, you are able to operate vehicles such as tractor-trailers, flatbeds, and livestock carriers. 

2. Class B

A Class B commercial license also allows drivers to operate a combination of vehicles with a total weight of over 26,001 pounds. The difference here is that the towed vehicle must weigh less than 10,000 pounds. Class B licenses allow drivers to operate straight trucks, passenger buses, and dump trucks.

3. Class C

A Class C commercial license allows drivers to operate either vehicles with 16 or more passengers (including driver) or transport hazardous materials. The Class C license holder may drive vehicles like passenger vans and smaller HazMat vehicles. 

These three are slightly different from operator’s licenses; CDLs are a specific type of operator’s license. In essence, an operator’s license allows people over the age of 18 to operate trucks under a certain weight. The requirements and restrictions for these licenses vary by state.

What are the benefits of having a Class A CDL?

One of the biggest benefits to having a Class A commercial license would be the amount of vehicles you’re able to drive. With so much flexibility, there are a multitude of options for you jobwise. Additionally, you’re pretty much guaranteed to travel, so if you’ve got an adventurous spirit, this can open up those opportunities for you as well!

What are Horizon Transport’s requirements regarding commercial licenses?

Here at Horizon, we have three different options for drivers wanting to transport RVs: we have our tow-away, flatbed, and drive-away divisions. For drivers in our flatbed division, we do require a Class A CDL, and our Drive-Away division requires a Class B CDL. While we don’t absolutely require our Tow-Away drivers to have a Class A CDL, is is strongly encouraged.

If you’re interested in driving with us, please visit our application page to apply today! Here at Horizon Transport, we prioritize the safety of our drivers and strive to provide as much information as possible about the transportation industry. We wish you safe travels!